The Zero Waste International Alliance has affiliates across the globe.
Zero Waste Brasil
Zero Waste Brazil is the Brazilian national affiliate of the Zero Waste International Alliance.
Contact: Rodrigo Sabatini
Zero Waste Canada
Zero Waste Canada is the Canadian national affiliate of the Zero Waste International Alliance.
Contact: Jamie Kaminski
Zero Waste USA
Zero Waste USA is the American national affiliate of the Zero Waste International Alliance.
Contact: Gary Liss
Zero Waste Organizations are welcome to join Zero Waste International Alliance as affiliates to represent their countries as part of the global alliance.
Affiliates are nongovernmental organizations with a national focus on zero waste and have officially adopted the ZWIA Definition of Zero Waste, ZWIA Zero Waste Business Principles and ZWIA Global Principles for Zero Waste Communities to guide their policies and programs. They also have a Board of Directors or a management committee drawn from the community and a properly constituted organization that is registered in some verifiable way with an organization in the country of origin.
There are two types of affiliates:
To become an Organization Affiliate of Zero Waste International Alliance a Zero Waste organization must:
- Be a properly constituted organization that is registered in some verifiable way with an organization in the country of origin that can be searched and checked for confirmation of the detail presented.
- Have a Board of Directors or a management committee drawn from the community and transparently answerable to it.
- The organization concerned must have published objectives that align with those of ZWIA and must at the least be opposed to any form of landfilling mixed waste or energy recovery from the combustion of mixed wastes. If it has a Zero Waste title its literature must refer to the ZWIA definition of Zero Waste as posted on the ZWIA website and revised as ZWIA revises it.
- The organization concerned should notify ZWIA by email when publishing literature or carrying out major campaigns so that details can be posted to the ZWIA website and support therefore garnered from Zero Waste colleagues throughout the world.
- Applications for Organizational Affiliates are approved by the ZWIA Board.
- ZWIA Organizational Affiliates can raise and spend money for ZWIA activities and act as fiduciaries for ZWIA programs within their countries.
- ZWIA Organizational Affiliates can defend the Zero Waste brand and ZWIA logo within their area of jurisdiction.
Organizational Affiliates are encouraged to participate in ZWIA Regional Calls to share information about what is happening with ZWIA and with Zero Waste around the world as follows:
- Americas and Pacific Islands (including Australia and New Zealand) – Third Thursday of month at 1 pm PDT in February, May, August and November.
- Europe, Africa and Asia – Third Thursday of month at 1 pm PDT in March, June, September and December.
To participate, send your SKYPE name to Rick Anthony, ZWIA Chair.
ZWIA National Affiliates for Certification and Recognition Programs
Nongovernmental organizations with a national focus that have officially adopted the ZWIA Definition of Zero Waste, ZWIA Zero Waste Business Principles and ZWIA Global Principles for Zero Waste Communities to guide their policies and programs, may submit to ZWIA a statement of qualifications for playing that role, background of the organization, who will be lead for the organization, and key staff or consultant experience with doing business assessments and helping communities implement Zero Waste. Only one organization can be officially accredited by ZWIA to implement this Recognition Program in each country. That organization may authorize other organizations to operate under their oversight and guidelines.
To become a National Affiliate of ZWIA a Zero Waste organization must meet all criteria for Organization Affiliate plus:
- Only one organization can be officially accredited by ZWIA to implement this Recognition Program in each country. That organization may authorize other organizations to operate under their oversight and guidelines. A ZWIA National Affiliate could operate in more than one country until there is another approved National Affiliate for another country. ZWIA National Affiliates must be accredited annually by ZWIA. ZWIA National Affiliates shall provide ZWIA an Annual Report on their activities, including a summary of the recognitions they have done and any challenges or complaints encountered through the year regarding any entity recognized or their program.
- ZWIA National Affiliates must be approved by the ZWIA Board voting within a week of circulation. This approval must be renewed annually with a submittal by December 1st each year to ZWIA requesting such a renewal.
- ZWIA National Affiliates are authorized to charge fees for this service. In setting their fees, National Affiliates will include payment to ZWIA of 10% of the fees charged per entity for ZWIA management and oversight of the program. National Affiliate fees should be set at a level that reflects the intent for this program to sunset once there is a national certification system that includes third-party verification. If additional reviews are requested during the course of a year, additional fees would be paid.
- Once a National Affiliate develops a Certification Program, this Recognition Program may continue as an entry step in a Certification Program by recognizing those who are working toward Zero Waste that adopt the ZWIA goal of Zero Waste and a plan to achieve it.
- ZWIA National Affiliates must be approved by a quorum plus one vote of the ZWIA Board of Directors.
- ZWIA will open a seat on the ZWIA Board of Directors for one National Affiliate representative.
Become an Affiliate of the Zero Waste International Alliance
To become a national affiliate of the Zero Waste International Alliance, please submit the form below. We will then reach out to you with more information.